Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lessons from Dr. House

"You spend only one day on your deathbed. It's the other 25,000 days you should worry about. You should end every day happy."

That quote is from last week's episode of House, "The Greater Good." I don't know, something about that really struck me. As some of you know, I have a pretty large fear of death, and like the doctor expressed before the patient responded with the above, I don't want to look back on my life and think I didn't do anything important. Perhaps the most important thing I'll ever do for society is that I'll be a great husband and father -- maybe it will be my kid that cures cancer or something. I should be happy with that. I don't know if I am though. These Tough Economic Times® have got everyone feeling down, I know, but I just feel lost. I'm 31, went to law school late, didn't follow the correct path, am now foundering in defining and pursuing my career, and realized that I don't really want to be a lawyer! At least not in the most traditional sense. Anyway, this is all to say, that quote got to me. I need to figure out a way to truly be happy at the end of every day.*

*Should my wife read this, I am VERY happy with my marriage. The above really addresses my career and doing something special with my life outside of my marriage. No worries dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The purpose of this blog is to have an exchange of ideas, but please, keep it clean and respectful. That's the only way we can ever learn anything. Thanks.