Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Patience, People

Andrew just posted this over at The Daily Dish/Atlantic. I find it very interesting. I was thinking just this morning about how my devotion to the election race for, quite literally, two full years effected my need for news. For January 2007-November 2008, I was constantly clicking through a roll call of political websites every hour. Non-coincidentally, they are the sites listed to the right in the Politics Roll. As you can see, they are still there. I still view these sites multiple times a day. In fact, much to my wife's chagrin, even when I am out, I am constantly checking the internet on my Blackberry for the latest political news. It's kind of an obsession; without frequent updating, I feel drastically out of touch. I think this is the result of not only needing to have knowledge of the world before most others, but after eight years of nothing but bad news of a deteriorating nation, I want, nay need, to know that things are getting better. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and fast.

I think Andrew is right though. There is no deus ex machina coming. We need to dig ourselves out of this hole slowly, bracing it along the way so it doesn't fall in on us. President Obama is correct in that he inherited this mess from the previous administration, and while we need to be extra vigilant in overseeing that his administration and Congress do what they have promised ("fool me once" and all), we need to give them some time. As much as we all want Change, we need to take a breath and take stock of where we are. Only then can we move forward in a positive direction.

Update: More from Andrew on Patience.

Update II: Even more from Andrew. What can I say, I like the way the guy thinks, and if someone can say it better than me, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The purpose of this blog is to have an exchange of ideas, but please, keep it clean and respectful. That's the only way we can ever learn anything. Thanks.